Thursday, July 7, 2016

Voice is Something You Hear

The dictionary lists several definitions for the word voice One of them says, "anything regarded as like vocal utterance in communicating to the mind." I love that definition! When I think of my writing voice, I can hear it. When I read someone else's writing, I can hear their voice. Can't you?

Imagine a world where there is only one writing voice allowed. One voice for everyone. We all have to use correct grammar, correct punctuation, correct spelling, and correct structure at all times. We can't tell who wrote what, because we all sound alike. I might stop reading. I would definitely stop writing!

So why do we sometimes try to fit our children's writing into a perfect structure with perfect grammar, punctuation and spelling? Of course, we want them to know how to do those things; but that takes years. In the meantime, we need to encourage them to say what they want to say, with their own voice. To communicate to our minds. When they feel free to use their voice, their writing will be interesting enough to make it worth cleaning up the technicalities later.

So your job is to hear your child's voice instead of hushing it. Care about what he says (writes), love the way he says (writes) it, and teach "correctness" by using other people's writing as models. I promise that when your child learns some rule of writing, he will be excited to use it. Especially if he knows you're going to love what he's saying. He'll probably use it too much. Then you'll have a different lesson to teach!


Let us help you encourage your child's writing voice at MyWritingCheck.com

No comments:

Post a Comment